NOT FADE AWAY - staying happy when you're over 64!
I am currently writing this book, aiming to self-publish it later in 2017. To pre-register for a special offer price on publication, click here.
The late sixties and beyond are a landmark: a good time to choose what you want from the years ahead, and take stock of the story so far. This short, practical book offers you the new skills, information, resources to help you to be happy in your vintage years.
Alan Heeks is a writer and workshop leader who has been exploring wellbeing and resilience for many years. He has led groups on creative ageing, and his second book was Out of the Woods: a guide to life for men beyond 50. Now 68, Alan is deeply engaged with the issues in this new book.
1. Rave on. Finding your way in the vintage years.
Overview of book and approach
FINDING THE GIFTS
2. Love me do: reinventing partnership
Different forms of intimate partnership for later life. Renewing a long marriage. Silver dating.
3. You gotta friend: pals in maturity
Reviewing the nature of friendship in mature years; how to find, renew, repair them.
4. Get it together: finding your communities
Different kinds of groups and communities: what do you need, what can you offer, how to find it.
5. We are family: who are you now?
Rediscovering your own roles, adjusting as others change. Seeing and tuning up family dynamics.
6. As time goes by: finding the gifts of time
Recognising your scope for choice, widening the options, using time happily.
7. Unchained melody: gifts of inspiration
Ways to explore and find purpose and perspective.
8. California dreaming: fresh adventures
Using your freedom, stretch and surprise yourself: inner and outer adventures.
9. Afternoon delight: daily comforts
Looking after yourself in small daily ways.
DIGGING THE CHALLENGES
10. Good Vibrations: managing your health
How diet and exercise help. Handling minor and major health issues.
11. All over now: handling loss
Losses are natural at this age; how to handle them well.
12. Sounds of silence: thriving with solitude
Ways of reframing loneliness, and using the quiet spaces.
13. Hold me: befriending your fears
Ways to accept your fears, live with them, learn from them – and don’t be run by them.
14. All along the watchtower: daily uncertainties
As daily life gets more complex and uncertain, practical tips to raise your resilience.
15. Matthew & Son: work and money
Finding positive ways to meet financial needs and find the right role for work in your life.
16. Won’t get fooled again: change the story
Recognise recurring patterns, and your chance to change them.
17. Listen to me: difference voices
Recognise and integrate the various voices and aspects of yourself.
18. My generation: wisdom from others
An anthology of brief insights and guidance from people in their sixties, seventies and eighties.
19. Woodstock: a festival for the 70’s
Best books, music, poems and movies for finding your way at 70.
20. I can see for miles: future outlook
Hints and forecasts for the decades ahead.
21. Sunshine of your love: this could be so good!
Staying hopeful. Parting advice, further resources.